Miners’ Welfare Hall
Your local Garforth Community Association brings a lot of highly valued activities to the community:
- a local place for events and activities
- activities in the Garforth Miners Welfare Hall include pre-school playgroup, dancing, plays and rehearsals, Music Society, coffee mornings, model railway exhibitions, RNLI, jumble sales
- regular annual events – the May Plant Sale, the September Flower Show
There is always something going on. You can support your local Community Association by coming along, or maybe booking the hall or holding an event.
Your local hall – called the Miners’ Welfare Hall – can be hired at very inexpensive rates for:
- Coffee mornings
- Charitable events
- Shows and Events
- Club meetings
- Plays and rehearsals
- Craft fairs
- Day or Evening Classes
It tends to get heavily booked so please book early.
Several groups are always looking for volunteers to help - let us know if you could help with scene shifting for the plays.
If you would like to become a member of Garforth Community Association, please contact the Treasurer
History of the Welfare Hall
The Miners’ Welfare Hall was erected in 1924 by the Garforth Miners’ Welfare Institute, It was funded by a grant from the Central Miners’ Welfare Committee and the weekly subscriptions of the local miners. The miners worked at the Isabella, Sisters, and Trench collieries, which were owned at that time by the Gascoigne family.
The facilities available in your local Miners’ Welfare Hall are:
- The Sisters Hall – capacity approximately 150 with stage, chairs and adjacent kitchen
- Two meeting rooms: the Trench Room (upstairs) capacity approximately 60; and, downstairs, the IsabellaRoom (capacity approximately 35).
For bookings, an Information Pack, and details of current rates please contact:
Doreen Hawkins (Bookings Secretary) on 286 8341
David LeRoy (Chairman) on 286 8576
The Garforth Community Association exists to serve your local community. We welcome all offers of help or involvement. Please contact one of the Officers:
Chairman David LeRoy 286 8576
Vice-Chairman Keith Marshall 286 9494
Treasurer Penny Cassidy 286 5525
Bookings Secretary Doreen Hawkins 286 8341